All temporary unemployment measures rolled forward to 30 June 2021


Employers can continue to use the Corona temporary unemployment measures but only if they have used the scheme for at least 20% of regular working hours during April, May and June 2020. If not, they need to use the regular temporary unemployment scheme which requires proof of loss of revenue. These new rules have not yet been published in the Official Journal but they are expected to come in the coming days. Source: SDWorx

All temporary unemployment measures rolled forward to 30 June 20212021-04-14T11:34:59+00:00

Quarantine after your summer holidays?


What happens if one of your employees has to quarantine for two weeks when they get back from holiday? If she or he can't work from home then his/her employment contract is considered to be suspended for the duration of the quarantine. You can hire a temp or a student to fill in for the duration of the quarantine period.   Source: Partena Professional

Quarantine after your summer holidays?2020-07-24T07:43:05+00:00

Special corona parental leave for May/June 2020


Employees who have been working for at least one month can reduce their working schedule by 1/5th or ½ for their children under 12, during the period from 1st May to 30th June 2020 included. This coronavirus parental leave won’t be deducted from their regular parental leave entitlement and the ONEM allowance will be 25% higher. The employer should approve the leave first; the employee must submit a request 3 days prior to the beginning of the leave. Find out more: Source : ONEM

Special corona parental leave for May/June 20202020-05-05T15:09:47+00:00

Start your own Business Seminar 2020


Start your own business in Belgium - Online Edition Thursday 14 May 2020 Welcome to 2020 edition of Belgium's premier business start up event. This event is dedicated to helping you set up your business in Belgium. This half day seminar takes you through all the practical and essential steps you need to take to get your business up and running. Local Knowledge has teamed up with ING, The Bulletin, Group S and LBBH to bring you expert advice on how to start your own business in Belgium. We’re adapting to the times and running the event as an interactive webinar this year – read on for more details. Registration is free but compulsory. Date: 14 May 2020 Platform – Webinar – Room opens 13h30 14h00 Opening session with Anne-Sofie van den Born 14h30 Types of company & freelancer structure in Belgium (Local Knowledge) 15h00 Self-employment & social security (Group S) 15h30 Tax matters (LBBH) 16h00 Banking and finance ING) 16h30 Open session: Ask an expert Key features Our audience is free to come and go as they please so it is not a requirement to attend all sessions – you can zoom in on the sessions that are of interest to you We will [...]

Start your own Business Seminar 20202021-04-14T11:21:40+00:00

Employing students


As you know, it is relatively inexpensive to employ students in Belgium because you and they pay less social security than other employees – the employer pays 5.42 % of gross salary and the student pays 2,71 %. From now on however the ONSS may ask you to provide proof that the person you employ is actually a student. So when you’re setting everything up, make sure to ask them to provide a proof of their student status and keep a copy on file.   Source: SDWorx

Employing students2020-04-26T11:57:07+00:00

Belgian Ministry of Finance postpones all reporting and payment deadlines


The Belgian Federal Ministry of Finance has just announced a series of measures for  all self-employed people ('independent') to help us through the COVID-19 pandemic. The deadline for quarterly VAT submissions has been postponed until 7 May 2020 (instead of 20 April) The payment of your VAT is automatically delayed by two months, without risking a fine, until the 20 June 2020 The payment of your withholding tax is also automatically delayed, until the 15 June 2020 The deadline for income and corporate taxes will be postponed by 2 months too The submission of your client listing has been postponed until the 30 April 2020 The deadline for the intra-EU listing has been postponed until 7 May 2020 These delaying measures can also be combined with other extended payment terms that you may already be benefiting from or have applied for. More details in French: More details in Dutch: Source:

Belgian Ministry of Finance postpones all reporting and payment deadlines2020-03-19T20:07:25+00:00

Coronavirus action points for employers


If your business has collapsed or is experiencing a dramatic decrease in sales following the special measures introduced in Belgium on 13 March you can temporarily make your staff unemployed. They will be immediately eligible for unemployment benefit (65% of salary up to €2754.76 per month) for a period of up to 3 months (this can be extended if necessary).th […]

Coronavirus action points for employers2020-03-20T16:02:14+00:00

Coronavirus action points for self-employed


If your business has collapsed following the special measures introduced in Belgium on 13th March you can apply to have your social security payments delayed. Apply via your social insurance agency (the organisation that sends you an invoice every quarter for social contributions).

Coronavirus action points for self-employed2020-03-19T15:29:35+00:00

Adaptation of legislation in Brussels and Wallonia for single work permits for highly qualified and director level employees


Legislation on work permits is a shared competence of the different regions and the Federal level. In other words, each region can imprint its own accent on a national level template. Flanders has already done so at the beginning of the year. Brussels and Wallonia now follow suit. Under the adapted rules The maximum duration of a work permit is 3 years for all regions The Brussels and Walloon regions ask the employer to submit the following documents each year: a copy of the payslips of the past year; a copy of their individual account (generated by the payroll processor); the Limosa declaration (for posted workers) a copy of the "Certificate of Coverage" (or the exemption from Belgian social security contributions in the case of posted workers). The certificate of cover proves that the worker remains subject to the social security of his country of origin. Flanders does not require any annual filing. Source: Arrêté du Gouvernement de la Région de Bruxelles-Capitale du 16 mai 2019 modifiant l'arrêté royal du 9 juin 1999 portant exécution de la loi du 30 avril 1999 relative à l'occupation des travailleurs étrangers, en ce qui concerne l'autorisation de travail pour les activités [...]

Adaptation of legislation in Brussels and Wallonia for single work permits for highly qualified and director level employees2019-09-15T21:20:06+00:00